Monday, December 03, 2018

Addams Family Holiday: Redux


In addition to being a bon vivant, ladykiller, and sports car enthusiast, cartoonist Charles Addams was also a thief. He stole from himself.





This cartoon appeared in the July 19, 1947 issue of The New Yorker. Five years later Addams, when painting a mural for a resort on Long Island (to date, the largest evermade by a New Yorker cartoonist)*, repurposed the gag. Or, as it is called in the trade: he “swiped”.




In 1952, the larger fishing gag, consuming most of the picture plane, upstages the sandy burial gag now relegated to background status, adding a rich layer of what cartoonist, Bill Elder, termed “chicken fat.”



Plenty of differences emerge when comparing the two images: the expression and attire of the child (later to be known as “Pugsley”) — more sadistically cheerful in the first image, more innocent in the second — as well as his position relative to the burial mound. The entire landscape recedes to a similar vanishing point, but while the 1947 beach is situated at the foot of a bluff, the 1952 environment is more dune-like. Where several houses peek out above the grass in 1947, only the Addams’ Family gothic beach house towers in the 1952 version.




A key similarity, however, is the presence of the drab Normals who often populate the drawings of Charles Addams, reacting with fear and discomfort as the clan goes about their daily macabre lives. On the left, two little-boy Normals, with their normal sand castle and normal swim trunks, gaze in mid-construction. The Normal man on the right has to take off his sunglasses to get a better look at the grisly situation.

These onlooking denizens, often chunky, frumpy, and always pale-white, are decidedly not us, but they are necessary abettors in Addams’ scheme to highjack erudite readers over to the Addams Family side of the fence of dark skullduggery.

Note what happens when the aghast Normals are removed:


Part of the pleasure in absorbing an Addams gag comes from momentarily aligning ourselves with murderous children, matricidal spouses, and larcenous misanthropes while the clueless bourgeoisie within the cartoons stand by with slack jaws not getting what we get. Without any Normal beachcomber, little boys, or sandcastles to feel superior to, viewers are reduced to becoming Normals, themselves, and the gag sags.


+++
For more on the mural:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/07/09/the-addams-family-secret


* Michael Maslin, cartoonist and King of New Yorker Cartooning Trivia, reports that there is actually a mural LARGER than the Addams masterpiece...by the great Saul Steinberg. If you are into New Yorker cartoons, Maslin's website is the epicenter of related data on the subject. CLICK HERE.


--> --> -->

2 comments:

SUSSAN MORRIS said...

I was diagnosed with Herpes and HIV/AIDS for a long time,and I've had some variants of this Herpes and  HIV/AIDS.This has brought me a lot of trouble, on many levels, especially with my partners, and this has given me a lot of self-consciousness.25 years of suffering outbreaks is a long time, I've had depression and I've felt the rejection of many people, who are suffering from it know what I'm talking about.As you know, pharmacological medicine does not provide any adequate solution to eradicate this diseases, it only mitigates the symptoms until the next outbreak.However, about a month ago I discovered some useful information that helped me in a few weeks to make myHerpes and HIV VIRUS disappear naturally after taking DR James herbal mix medicine .Today I am grateful to Doctor James herbal mix medicine that has given me back a normal life.Today I can say that:  I am a new person, or rather, I am back to being a person without complexes because of this silent and complex hell that is herpes.If you don't suffer from herpes, well risky you are, but if you suffer it I invite you to contact this genuine powerful herbal healer called Dr james. Hiv/AIDS is a Deadly disease that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by US doctors, but the best way to fight against HIV/AIDS is to take natural herbal remedies, I read about DR JAMES HERBAL MIX MEDICINE, the great herbalist who cures people of HIV  virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of HIV virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate and 100 percent works. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 21 days and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.
CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE 
   Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

Bharathi said...

Hi.
Thank you for sharing this information, It's understandable that it has caused you to feel self-conscious and face difficulties with your partners. Remember that you are not alone, and there are resources available to support you in managing these conditions and navigating relationships. Here is sharing some NetSuite Technical Training information may be its helpful to you.
NetSuite Technical Training